Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hello friends - having been here a couple of weeks, I thought I would share some observations from one of the most vital parts of my life here, I mean the most immediate to me, because it is an activity in which I partake each day. I mean the transportation.
This morning I couldn't get on the first bus that came by; it was too full, so I had to wait with some other passengers for the next one. I was amused, as I have been almost every day, to see the taxi drivers pause at the bus stop in case one of those passengers should decide to take a quicker way.
This bus I take is a green one - Seoul has a system of shuttle buses (green) that just circle through small sections of the city, and perhaps always related to the subway stations. The blue buses are longer trips across the city. Then there are yellow buses - I think they are company buses picking up employees.
When I board my green bus in the morning, I always have to stand because it is full. However, three stops from mine there is a major transfer stop, and the bus always empties. Then those of us still on are going to the subway station, Suyu subway station, where I catch the blue line, and later transfer to the green line.
I am always amazed at the people who sleep on the subway. They are seemingly sound asleep, then suddenly come to life and get off at a stop. I wonder how often they go by their stops. I missed a stop the other day because I was studying, and had to find my way across to the other track and come back. I need to remember to pay attention. The other day I was just revelling being part of a big crowd, and kind of praying for the people going up the stairs ahead of me; and found myself on the track going the wrong way. Again I had to find my way across to the other track (up a flight of stairs, across a concourse, and down the corresponding stairs. I had gone up the first flight of stairs instead of the second
The subway is a very anonymous place, one never takes notice of what another is doing - like sleeping, like putting on makeup, etc. I often am afraid that some of the women will poke their eyes as they apply makeup. Except people will notice an old lady (me) standing, and often give me their seat. The front section of each car is reserved for the elderly. One day I was invited to sit there, a woman came, tapped me on the shoulder, and motioned me to sit in the reserved seats.
I am surprised, people don't usually rush in the station. Usually they even just stand on the escalators until it gets them to the top or bottom. Unless, of course, they hear their train just pulling in, then they charge up or down the stairs to get it.
Enough for now. These observations may be familiar to any of you who live in cities; Seoul may not be unique in these things. I have never lived in a city - well, I lived in Ottawa, but Ottawa is not a city on anywhere the same scale as Seoul.
Korean lessons are not going so well; the first month is nearly over, and I fear I will be repeating the first session. Oh well, the point would be to get a basis in the language, and if repeating the information will anchor it more firmly in my brain, how can I resist? Bye for now.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Catherine!

    It's wonderful to read about your progress and it is progress! I too am amazed at the transportation system here in Cape Town. I have only been here a week, but it just boggles my mind. You remain in my thoughts and in my prayers! Best of luck to you as you continue to make your way. May God make God's presence known to you at all times and in all ways!

    ReplyDelete